2021 Home Insulation Statistics, Trends, and Facts
The energy we lose every day from our homes and workplaces has a significant impact on the environment and our pockets as well. As we all know, home insulation is of utmost importance when it comes to preserving energy and working towards a more energy-efficient living, working, or storage space. The home insulation statistics and facts mentioned below concern the typical Ontarian homeowner and everyone interested in learning more about insulation trends and best practices. Check them below...
Safe Use of Insulation
- Many insulation materials are treated with special fire retardant components like boric acid in order to prevent your house from igniting like matchsticks in case of an unexpected fire. It gives the residents a valuable 5+ minute time window. Enough for them to evacuate and for the firefighters to respond.
- According to The International Residential Code (IRC) and The International Building Code (IBC) using ignition barriers and thermal barriers along with the insulation system can decrease the chances of fire by 50% and upwards.
- Depending on the type of insulation, the insulation contractors may or may not be required to possess an exclusive license for delivering that service. Spray foam insulation, for example, requires specialized licensing.
- If you work in the field of insulation, make sure to be equipped with protective gear. It is not only set as a requirement from the Ontario Building Code but following the safety protocol also ensures the progress of the installation process. Chemical-resistant gloves, safety goggles and supplied air respirators, are the equipment you need.
- On average, an American family spends approx. $2.000 a year on their home energy bills. Out of them, heating and cooling make up to 40% of the energy used in a typical home.
- Insulation is the best method to decrease your monthly utility bills. By creating an air-tight barrier, the need for energy can be decreased by 40% with spray foam, 30% with cellulose, and 25% with fiberglass insulation.
- Spray foam insulation has the highest R-Value per inch of thickness. This winning insulation method manages to deliver an R-Value of R-3.7 (Open Cell) and R-6.7 (Closed Cell).
- In addition to leveraging insulation in your building, you can also preserve energy by unplugging/using less unnecessary appliances, using efficient light bulbs, turning off lights, and by changing the setting on the thermostat.
Insulation as an Eco-Friendly Product
- From all insulation materials, cellulose has the highest recycled content. It is made of 75-85% of post-consumer recycled newspapers, phone books, or cardboard. The other 15% counts for fire retardant merged components like boric acid.
- Mineral wool is also an eco-friendly insulation material. It consists of approx. 85% of blast furnace slag with the remaining volume of the raw material being natural rock. As a recycled material, this product requires minimal energy to be manufactured.
- Different insulation materials have different lifespans. Blown-in insulation for example (fiberglass, cellulose, mineral wool) has an estimated lifespan that ranges from 25 up to 50 years. Again, spray foam insulation wins the round as it provides 80 up to 100 years of longevity.
Benefits of Home Insulation
- Home insulation does not only serve towards your energy efficiency goals. It can also prevent mold from growing on your home walls, keep pests and rodents far from your home perimeter, and serve as a natural sound barrier.
- Insulation systems can significantly increase the value of your property by 5% up to 6%. Various studies indicate that an energy-saving gadget such as an insulation system is preferred by potential home buyers the same as a finished basement or a remodeled kitchen.
- By decreasing the efforts of condensation inside your building, insulation helps to keep your walls clean from moisture and mold. Thus, the residents are less exposed to respiratory disorders and can enjoy a healthier and more comfortable living and working space.
- Insulation is a long-lasting home upgrade that can last for decades. If considered as an investment, Home Insulation has a high ROI (Return of Investment), and the initial cost will be paid within the first 3 to 5 years.
Insulation Best Practices
- Deterioration is a real thing in the world of home insulation. When installed poorly and by inexperienced insulation crews expect the insulation to sag or settle. Other negative occurrences include old insulation drifting, mold growing on your walls, pest invasion, and of course, higher than usual monthly energy bills.
- Due to temperature fluctuations, which are most likely to happen in a garage, the objects you are storing there are prone to deterioration. Insulating your garage door and sealing any gap or crack on its walls is a good start.
- If you live in Ontario and meet the criteria, you can qualify for up to $5000 in rebates. With the main focus on energy efficiency, these rebate programs finance home insulation, energy-efficient boilers and furnaces, improved doors and windows, modern HVAC systems, and more.
- There are many different types of insulation. The most commonly used ones are blown-in insulation (cellulose and fiberglass), spray foam insulation, plastic board insulation, and mineral fiber or mineral wool.
In Final Words
In the end, numbers are just numbers. It takes a qualified insulation crew to come up with positive results that you and your family members can enjoy for ages. The last time we checked, home insulation was not included on the easy-to-do jobs list. With that said, opt for professional and experienced insulation contractors and you are halfway done.
EcoStar Insulation Company is proud to be serving the Greater Toronto Area and the suburban communities with professional insulation products and services since 2008. If you found these insulation statistics and facts useful, feel free to re-use this information and link to our article. As for the Ontarian homeowners, Contact us for your free estimate. Our team of professionals will guide you from the consultation to the execution stage to help shape your idea and turn it into an effective energy-saving solution.Tags: